Thursday, March 1, 2018



Port Jervis parents concerned about safety of their children in school

School safety has become a pervasive concern everywhere

PORT JERVIS – Parents packed Port Jervis High School Wednesday night to express concerns for the safety of their children following last week’s discovery of bullet casings right outside the building.

Interim Superintendant Ruth Zuclich said the district is taking every precaution to prevent violence including installation of bulletproof glass, security camera upgrades, automatic door closing systems, offices with 911 buttons, and security at modular classrooms and vestibules.

She said they are also considering placing armed guards or teachers at entrances.

Many parents were upset about how the district handled finding bullet cases around the high school. They said the school was not placed in lockdown and that a letter was sent home days after the incident.

Parents also expressed concern with the interim superintendent and said candidates for the post will not be able to lead the district and oversee the safety of the kids adequately.



Copyright © 2018 Mid-Hudson News Network, a division of Statewide News Network, Inc.
This story may not be reproduced in any form, by any media, without express written consent.
This includes rewriting, broadcasting and/or printing of material from,
by websites, radio and television stations, newspapers or other media



HEAR today's news on, the Hudson Valley's only Internet radio news report.