Thursday, December 6, 2018

  WXPort  

  

Fatal Poughkeepsie fire caused by candles

The cause of the fatal fire has been determined to be accidential, caused by candles

POUGHKEEPSIE – The fire that claimed four lives in a vacant house at 61 Academy Street in Poughkeepsie was caused by candles burning in a bathroom, City Fire Chief Mark Johnson said Wednesday.

He said remnants of a large glass encased candle along with the remains of several tea-light candles and several used lighters were found in a bathroom by investigators from the fire department and Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.

Johnson said all four victims had soot in their lungs meaning they were alive when the fire started. That, the chief said, dispels the notions that the fire was started in order to mask another crime.

Demolition of the building is expected to start today.

 


 


Copyright © 2018 Mid-Hudson News Network, a division of Statewide News Network, Inc.
This story may not be reproduced in any form, by any media, without express written consent.
This includes rewriting, broadcasting and/or printing of material from MidHudsonNews.com,
by websites, radio and television stations, newspapers or other media

 

 


HEAR today's news on MidHudsonRadio.com, the Hudson Valley's only Internet radio news report.