Thursday
November 30, 2017


 

 

 

Verla fire ruled accidental

NEW WINDSOR – The fire that caused considerable damage to the Verla International cosmetics manufacturing facility in New Windsor on Monday, November 20 has been ruled an accident.

Orange County Fire Coordinator Vini Tankasali said it was determined that the fire began with a static electricity spark.

“One of the workers had been on the scene and there was product on the table and he was using a rag to wipe the product and that through a static electric charge, ignited the vapors in the room and caused the fire,” Tankasali said.

He said the incident occurred when an employee was wiping excess product in the batch room during the manufacturing process. That employee was wearing protective gear and while the chemical blast totally engulfed him in flames, he sustained only minor injuries. Another employee was killed in the fire.

Eight Newburgh city firefighters sustained injuries from a broken leg to severe facial burns when they entered the burning building after an explosion and were hit by a second explosion.

Dozens of employees of the manufacturing facility sustained injuries of varying degrees.

 


Copyright © 2017 Mid-Hudson News Network, a division of Statewide News Network, Inc.
This story may not be reproduced in any form, by any media, without express written consent.
This includes rewriting, broadcasting and/or printing of material from MidHudsonNews.com,
by websites, radio and television stations, newspapers or other media

 

 


HEAR today's news on MidHudsonRadio.com, the Hudson Valley's only Internet radio news report.